Body Work Question

• When I got my car, it had a Shelby R-Model front apron. That was over 30 years ago. I have decided to replace that with the stock Mustang stone guard and valance panel along with a NOS bumper. I have finally collected the all stuff but since I have never done this, I was wondering what order the parts should go back on the car.

After I remove the R-model apron, I was going to install the stone guard first, then the bumper brackets, then the valance panel and then mount the bumper. Everything is Ford branded, either NOS or original with the exception of the bolts, which are AMK. Any tips on doing this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• -Stone Guard

-Front bumper

-Valence

-Bumper guards

Some folks like to install the valence before the front bumper. I find that the clearance for the bumper bolts is to tight when the valence is installed first.

I'd recommend you fit the stone guard and valence before painting.

• Yea, that's going to be a problem. The parts were originally on the car, but the valance needed to be straightened. Finding a guy who actually straightens metal instead of just filling was a challenge.

Hopefully it will be close enough, but the paint is on now.

Thanks for responding.

• Everything is now on the car and, with one exception, fits perfect. The exception is with the bumper. It sits about 1/2 to 3/4 inch too high. There is 1/2 inch gap between the bottom of the bumper and the top of the guards. It looks like it sits too far forward also. There is about 3/4 to 1" gap from the back of the bumper to the front lip of the stoneguard. Problem is, there is no adjustment in the bracket location to correct this. The only option I can see is to file/grind out the slots in the bumper bracket where it bolts to the sub frame. I thought I read an article about this years ago but I can't find it now. Anyone had anything similar? The car has never been in an accident.

Thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!