Vent glass frame

• Has anyone either used the reproduction vent glass frame/pivot or had their original replated? The frame itself is stainless while the little pivot is steel and usually pitted/rusty/or in some manner not as good as we would like it. Vendors now sell a reproduction of this frame/pivot and I am curious if anyone has used this part. Can the original be replated since it is spot welded to a stainless frame? NPD catalog shows a part number of 21608 if this is not descriptive enough.

• I had mine re-chromed, you've seen it John. They did a great job on the pivot. Not sure how they did it though...

Edited by - 66KGT on 01/30/2008 16:29:45

• John,

I've seen ones re-chromed (stainless and all.) They are not really correct since the SS part was not originally chrome plated also, but they usually look good. Re-chroming the whole thing is really the only way that I think you can do it. I'll probably be doing this on my next restoration. If you want to try or look at one of the reproductions, let me know.

I would suspect that you would be happier with a nice original. They are getting more difficult to find though.

-Brant

Edited by - club 33 on 01/31/2008 19:05:33

Edited by - club 33 on 01/31/2008 19:07:41

• After talking to several of you guys who have "been there and done it" it seems the best option for my need is to have the original frames replated. Thanks to all of you who shared your experience with these stainless frames. Now, can any of you provide the name of a reputable plating company that can deal with chroming a part made of steel that is spot welded to a stainless frame. Looking for someone that does quality work and has a reasonable turn around time. Thanks to each of you who responded on this forum, by private message or by phone with advice and help on this project. Again, you guys are a wealth of information and experience.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!