Hipo Block casting number

• Ok guys I have a interesting question for all the K-Code Guru's out there. I just aquired another HiPo long block with big caps additional crank weight hipo rods hipo crank etc. Now here is were it gets interesting. The casting number on the block is Z5AE-6015-A and was cast 4F26. That was not a typo it is Z5 not C5 and is a 6 bolt casting. I aquired this block from a 60's drag racer and he claimed he would get his blocks (Motors) from Mercury Marine. The block does not have a vin number which if purchased over the counter so to speak it would not. OK the big question is, has anyone ever heard or seen a block cast this way???

Ken

• Ken... The only ones I know of are as follows:

B = 1950's

C = 1960's

D = 1970's

E = 1980's

F = 1990's

That is not to say Ford didn't use a Z I've just never heard of it before but my knowledge is limited. I bet someone on HPM will have the answer.

Gary

• You are not the 1st one to have this Z in your casting. There was a guy on the Ford Muscle site a couple years ago with a 289 standard 4v block out of a 65 Falcon with a Z5 casting.

He was being questioned as to the Z not being a C.

I chalk it up to a guy at the foundry in Windsor drinking to much at lunch. That Canadian beer is potent.

Good luck with finding an answer and if you do, please POST IT!

• I once saw a set of heads with the "Z5" Casting Number. The guy told me that he researched it a lot and finally found that it indicated that the "Z" prefix was used on Sunbeam Tiger Parts. I knew a Sunbeam Tiger Guru and asked he about it and he confirmed it. So your mystery is solved....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!