VIN numbers, date codes

• I have been enjoying Mustangs since the 70's and was never really concerned with Vins and dates excpt the obvious 641/2 dates, body code and engine codes.

One point of clarity I need is sequential Vin numbers with respect to 3 assembly lines. Were these numbers collated or assigned or did a super computer keep up with what cars rolled off the line? I assume that there are no duplicate consecutive numbers or are there? I know the plants each had a designation letter - did they each run their own consecutive numbers? Are there 3 100001 cars out there?

I have 3 65 mustangs, 2 from dearborn , 1 from San Jose. The vin # on my San Jose lags far behind the numbers on my Dearborn cars even though it was produced much later - 19V. It's data plate is perplexing me. Late 65 date but it shows an F color code which is a 641/2 color.

Does anyone know what the last San Jose # is? I just looked up the 66 F color which shows to be Arcadian blue which I believe is a very light blue. This is an odd car. The car has the 66 side 1/4 panel chrome trim instead of 65. At first I thought the car had been clipped but now I'm wondering if the car is indeed a 65 with 66 quarters and color code. Could this be possible? I know there were many running changes but to this extent? It's an "A" code car so it's worth finding out it's origin.

I would be very relieved to know this car is untampered.

• Each assembly plant ran through the same sequence of unit numbers except for Metuchen in '65. They started numbers at 130001 in Feb '65. Obviously Dearborn's numbers ran much higher than the other plants and they had to skip the Mercury numbers (400-500).

Dearborn started 100001 in March '64, San Jose started with 100001 in July '64.

The unit numbers will be in different ranges at the 3 plants during '65 production.

Arcadian Blue is a mid-year '65 color. Color code F on earlier cars is for Guardsman Blue. I had a May '65 Dearborn car that was code F- Arcadian Blue.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Well I just read that plants were allocated number lots so there were'nt number duplicates. W.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Where did you read that? A quick thumbing through the Smart/Haskell Mustang Production Guide shows the same unit numbers being used at different plants.

• I came across that in an old " How to Restore Your Mustang" by the editors of Mustang Monthly. The next statement says that's why occasionally you'll find a vehicle with a relatively low cu# yet the date indicates an assembly date far later in the model year.

Also says the falcons and fairlanes were on the same line so would be included in the cu #'s.

Is there some empirical proof about this matter that anyone knows of?

As for date codes in the panels - I looked over my Dearborn Dec.1964 cars and found Dec. 63 dates. The San Jose car which was made 8 months later actually had some 62 stampings. I had no idea that's how far back pre-production went.

• Those date codes in sheet metal are not year-specific. They usually just indicated month/day and then a shift and/or plant code.

The "How to Restore your Mustang" book was published sometime in the mid 80's if I remember right. I wouldn't put too much faith in a non-Ford publication of that sort, especially being printed almost 30 years ago. Not a whole lot that is useful in the book these days.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!