AOD Xmember and "H" pipe clearance

• This is certainly off topic on this forum, BUT many of you are versed in all aspects of the Mustang world. Will a Ron Morris crossmember for a 68 Mustang alllow the use of the stock "H" pipe for Dual exhaust? I have called Ron Morris but only get an answeing machine message that says "leave your tech questions and we will get back to you". Waiting by the phone, maybe someone will call. Maybe someone here can provide insight? Anyone done this conversion? Thanks for any help in this matter.

• I have a Ron Morris AOD cross member in a '66 restomod.

Very nice cross member, but I don't think a stock H pipe would fit - at least it wouldn't in my application - the AOD transmission is too wide plus the cross member has no humps in it - it can't because of how far back it needs to move the tranny mount.

My only complaint about this cross member is the poor E-brake adapter - I had to reinforce the hell out of it to keep it from bending during use.

The T5 cross member is a little different and the tranny is smaller - so this one may fit - but I can't say 100% since I haven't built up one of these.

• Thanks, Ralph. I noticed that Ron M. has built at least two different designs of the Xmembers. Do you have an image of the one that you used? I think that the "H" pipes used on a 68 are the same as a 66 and therefore will also be too narrow? Trying to get enough "stuff" lined up to do this swap. Did you modify your "H" pipe to clear the AOD or how did you solve this problem? Could you have used your original Xmember with some modification and made the job easier or would you buy the RM Xmember again?

Edited by - Murf on 11/18/2009 15:18:59

• Murf,

Glad to help.

I actually put a 5.0 EFI / AOD combo in the '66. I used Hooker headers made for this app and had custom exhaust done from there back. I even had to add the bungs for the O2 sensers in the collectors myself.

I'll email you a few photos I have right now - not sure what I have on file - but I'll send any that show the details.

It uses the stock '66 auto shifter - this part was pretty easy - first you need to flip the shift level on the AOD - do this by dropping the pan - removing the internal nut - pull the lever out most of the way - rotate it 180° and re-install. It REALLY is that easy.

I custom made a bar to go between the shifter and the tranny lever with some flat stock on the ends and a 1/4" round bar I got at Home Depot - but if you use the stock holes it won't be perfect - just put both in PARK and start measuring and bending until it works. I had to drill a second hole in the floor shifter rod about 1" up from the stock hole after I got it all done the first time with the stock holes. Seems that the AOD throw is a little shorter than the C4 and with the stock holes it doesn't match the shifter exactly. Once you drill the second hole everything lines up perfectly. The nice thing about this set up is D on the shifter is 4th (Over Drive on the tranny) and you can pull the lever down into the shifter "2nd" position to disable OD function and stay in 3rd. Works really nice. The stock '68 shifter should be no different.

Email me if you have any questions.

Ralph

• Thanks, Ralph. Got the shifter arrangement satisfied by bending the angle on the stock shifter. Bent the angeled part out, then straightened the bottom angle back to where it is parrallel with the top part and effectively changed the working length of the shifter and all of the detents line up exactly. Probably changed the effective length by only 3/16 or maybe 1/4 inch on the 68 shifter. Will replace my modified arm when the tranny is out and can access the shifter from under the tunnel. Have all other parts except for the Xmember, and have a Ron Morris part located IF it will work with the stock "H" pipe. In fact, I am not even sure that the stock pipe will straddle the AOD, let alone miss the Xmember. Put in a call to RM this morning, only get an answering machine and thus far no response. Trying to make this an easy operation but looks more and more like the "H" pipe will need to be changed and that can only be done once the AOD is in place. I would appreciate any images you have showing any details. Did you have to change your speedo gear. I am running a 3:00 gear now, hope the motor can handle something that tall. Thanks for the help! Fraternally,John Murphy

• Murf,

Emailed 4 photos on Wednesday night. Let me know if you didn't receive them or if you have any questions. Sent them via the site email system.

After looking at the pictures again I am 100% positive a stock H pipe won't work - the tranny and pan are just too big regardless of the cross member.

Ralph

• Ralph, the images did not make the trip. Please send them directly to me at:

<j.w.murphy@comcast.net>

And Ron Morris did return my call yesterday, saying that there was probably no way that his crossmember would allow the use of the Ford "H" pipe, and just as you suspected, he also said that he was pretty certain that the stock "H{ pipe would not clear the AOD so regardless of the Xmember issue a new "H" pipe would need to be constructed with this swap. I appreciate the fact that he returned my call and took the time to explain about the fitting of the pipes.

I look forward to seeing your pictures, and thanks for the help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!