• Just got word back from my machine shop that my VIN stamped hipo block has a crack, flywheel side, probably due to freezing. I had bought the motor, longblock, sometime back and had it stored away. I had an inquiry about selling it, so off it went to the shop for magnaflux, etc. Long story short, with the price of hipo parts skyrocketing I wouldn't consider buying (or selling) a block, heads, etc. without them being checked out first. I've seen a lot of deals at swap meets, ebay, etc. for parts being sold as is for high dollar. I'm just thankful I did not pass this block along without having it checked first!

Edited by - tater_51 on 11/03/2009 15:52:12

• My block was cracked in the very same place-(the correct VIN stamped block for my Kar) and it wasn't caught by the first shops so-called magnafluxing that I paid for-it was caught when my restorer had my engine filled with coolant and pressurized that the somewhat large crack was found BEFORE the engine was dressed and put into my Kar....anyway the crack was successfully fixed and will never show from the outside because of where it is located.

I thought this was better than a replacement block would have been....

• If the crack is where I think it is, I agree with 6hypo5conv, it is probably an easy fix. It's a pretty common problem. I had an original, standard bore HiPo block cracked there. It was easily fixed by the machine shop.

• That would be great news, I just figured it was a boat anchor now. I will pick the block up next week and ask them about repair. It's standard now but will need boring. The machinist I talked with said with the crack and the fact it needed to be bored I might look for another suitable block, but then again, he probably isn't aware that it's a 289 hipo block. I checked the internet, seems there is several ways to repair the block, stitch, weld, epoxy, etc. Any input on your type of repair, cost, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Any input on your type of repair, cost, etc. would be appreciated.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I would take it to a local machine shop with a great reputation in your area and get an opinion. I'm sure if you ask around locally (racers, etc.), you can find one.

We have a local guy that I trust. He is great and knows what he is doing. I always ask his opinion on stuff like this and let him fix it as he sees best. I'm sure there are folks in your area that could help. Price? Usually, this type of work is never cheap, but hopefully, you get what you pay for.

Just always explain the situation. Most guys will understand, but let them know why you are fixing what they may consider a "common" piece. There are a lot of stories about machine shops decking an original Corvette block. If you think the HiPo block numbers are important, you should visit with a Corvette guy. If an original 427 gets decked and that stamping is gone, it's a huge part of the value of that particular car down the drain.

Good Luck! I hope it can be fixed.

• I have complete confidence in the shop that did the magnaflux, etc. They are a nationally known shop that caters to high end off shore racers as well as full blown race car engines. I got a shop tour a year ago and was "blown away". Everything is state of the art, dyno's, chassis dyno's, seperate rooms for engine assembly, etc., and a shop where you could eat lunch off the floor. Their prices are a little more than some shops but you leave knowing that things were done right. They have yet to get back with me on whether the crack can be fixed and estimated cost.

• I am not real familiar with the proper name of what the shop that repaired my block called it but it is very labor intensive and mine cost $350.00 alone, lots of drilling and tapping then a piece is screwed into the threadded hole and its made to twist off once it bottoms out-mine took around 20 of these things to complete the repair and my engine has been together for easily 9 months without problems.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!