Trade Rebuilt '67 K-Code Hipo Carburetor (C7ZF B) for '66 Carb (C6ZF F)

• I acquired a 1967 Mustang 289 HiPo carburetor approximately 15 years ago with the intention of using it for my '66 Hertz Shelby. It was rebuilt in 2013 by KP Carbs in Minoa, NY. I've finally gotten around to seriously doing more work on my car. When I purchased the car in 2004 it had (and still does have) a 600 cfm Holley from a 390 Comet! The original 4100 carb was long gone. It's now time to either install the '67 carb or locate the correct C6ZF F carb. I thought I would check here to see if anyone has one of these "unique to the auto trans Hertz car" units. Turns out the '67 carb would be for a K-code Mustang with manual trans and the CA Thermactor Control Exhaust emission system. A little research led me to some info provided by Bob Mannel. He discovered from Kevin Marti that there were only 14 such cars produced so there weren't many C7ZF B HiPo carbs around. I didn't realize the the number was that low. I realize this is a long shot but there just might be someone out there who has the carb I need for my restoration who has been looking a '67 carb such as the one I have. If not, I'll just give this one a try on my Hertz. I've attached a pic of the original tag. Thanks very much!

Craig R.

• I acquired a 1967 Mustang 289 HiPo carburetor approximately 15 years ago with the intention of using it for my '66 Hertz Shelby. It was rebuilt in 2013 by KP Carbs in Minoa, NY. I've finally gotten around to seriously doing more work on my car. When I purchased the car in 2004 it had (and still does have) a 600 cfm Holley from a 390 Comet! The original 4100 carb was long gone. It's now time to either install the '67 carb or locate the correct C6ZF F carb. I thought I would check here to see if anyone has one of these "unique to the auto trans Hertz car" units. Turns out the '67 carb would be for a K-code Mustang with manual trans and the CA Thermactor Control Exhaust emission system. A little research led me to some info provided by Bob Mannel. He discovered from Kevin Marti that there were only 14 such cars produced so there weren't many C7ZF B HiPo carbs around. I didn't realize the the number was that low. I realize this is a long shot but there just might be someone out there who has the carb I need for my restoration who has been looking a '67 carb such as the one I have. If not, I'll just give this one a try on my Hertz. I've attached a pic of the original tag. Thanks very much!

Craig R.

Interestingly, I actually have a C7ZF-B carburetor on one of my 66 Kars. I did that intentionally as it would be a tough sale and I saved the C6ZF-C to use later.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Craig R.

Interestingly, I actually have a C7ZF-B carburetor on one of my 66 Kars. I did that intentionally as it would be a tough sale and I saved the C6ZF-C to use later.

-Fred-

Thanks for responding, Fred! I'm assuming your '66 is a 4spd. How does the '67 carb perform? Did you have make any alterations to it? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing I should install an anti-stall dashpot at the minimum on my '67 carb if I install it in my '66 Hertz which is an automatic.

Craig R.

• My 66 works just fine with the 67 carb. Keep in mind that the boosters for the 67/68 version are different from the earlier carbs. The jet sizes are only slightly different. I am only at 1,500 ft. altitude so there are no altitude issues.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks very much, Fred, for the feedback. I was aware of the differences but not quite sure just how the carb would perform on my Hertz. Your testimonial is a great help. I guess I'll give it a try and see. Thanks again!

Craig R.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!