Alternate VIN Locations

• I know the VIN for K code engines in 65 and 66 Mustangs is found on the forward right side of the block above the oil pan. Have you ever found VIN or partial VINs on other locations of a K code block? Where and why would they be in other spots? It's my first post. Please take it easy on me.

• I know the VIN for K code engines in 65 and 66 Mustangs is found on the forward right side of the block above the oil pan. Have you ever found VIN or partial VINs on other locations of a K code block? Where and why would they be in other spots? It's my first post. Please take it easy on me.

You are correct on the VIN location on the engine and there is only one. The manual transmissions all have the complete VIN stamped on them. The transmission VIN stamps are in different areas depending on the original vehicle assembly plant. Beginning in 1968, which does not affect our Kars, Federal law required partial VINs on all vehicle engines and transmission as a theft deterent.

There are other block stampings for the machining date and assembly date.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

You are correct on the VIN location on the engine and there is only one. The manual transmissions all have the complete VIN stamped on them. The transmission VIN stamps are in different areas depending on the original vehicle assembly plant. Beginning in 1968, which does not affect our Kars, Federal law required partial VINs on all vehicle engines and transmission as a theft deterent.

-Fred-

Thanks Fred. So what would you make of this stamped number found on a raised pad at the back of a block, top center, shown here between the intake and the trans? I have not tried hard to find a VIN in the normal location. The heads are certainly HiPo heads. It is an engine transplanted into an A code car. This looks like a partial VIN. Did they do this to replacement blocks?

-Fred-

Thanks Fred. So what would you make of this stamped number found on a raised pad at the back of a block, top center, shown here between the intake and the trans? I have not tried hard to find a VIN in the normal location. The heads are certainly HiPo heads. It is an engine transplanted into an A code car. This looks like a partial VIN. Did they do this to replacement blocks?

You are correct that this is a partial VIN. As I have stated, Federal law beginning in 1968 required VIN stamps on all engines and transmissions. A partial VIN begins with the year and then the assembly plant code plus the six digit serial number. What you are showing a picture of is probably a 1968 289 or 302 where the car was built at Kansas City. Don't let the K in this VIN fool you into thinking that it is a K code engine. :) Partial VINs were only on factory installed engines. Generally they are stamped in an area where they would be tough to modify and sometimes requiring a mirror and flashlight to see them. They would have been stamped prior to installing the drive train. I had a 69 Mark III where the transmission VIN was stamped in the middle of the main case on top. You pretty miuch had to have the transmission out to see it.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Exactly the info I was looking for. But since Mustangs were not built in Kansas City, or Kentucky, I suppose this would not be a block originally assigned to a Mustang. The timing (1968) is also wrong to be from Kansas City (I think). And probably impossible to find its origin. Thanks!

Edited once, last by gregerard (October 23, 2023 at 4:25 PM).

• Exactly the info I was looking for. But since Mustangs were not built in Kansas City, or Kentucky, I suppose this would not be a block originally assigned to a Mustang. The timing (1968) is also wrong to be from Kansas City (I think). And probably impossible to find its origin. Thanks!

That block is more likely from a Fairlane/Torino. The K assembly plant in the Ford MPC is Kansas City only. The K does not have anything to do with Kentucky. The only Kentucky assembly plant listed at that time was Lousville and that plant code is U. :)

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I had a 65 Hipo Fairlane built in Kansas City. Therefore it had two K's in the VIN.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!