NOS B6A 12029 A Ignition Coil

• Official Post

Here is an Ebay auction for an NOS B6A 12029 A ignition coil by Ebay member "lunch_pail_parts" with a starting bid of $600.00 and a Buy-It-Now of $850.00:

NOS Ford Ignition Coil

Another rare, obsolete part from the ol' Lunch Pail !

Original equipment for any 1965 Mustang or Shelby G.T.350, as well as for most other Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles of this period.

Moreover, this was exactly the same ignition coil that would have been installed under warranty by Ford dealers, when your car was new.

It's a leftover sample from Ford's GPD Testing Lab. Condition is excellent, with just small flaws — good enough for even the finest show car.

Remember, you're looking at the real deal. Why fool around with a 'repro' part when you can have Genuine Ford quality & reliability?

Is your car's restoration for personal pride or a hunt for show-points? Either way, you can't go wrong by choosing NOS parts. Don't miss out !

NOS Ford Coil Shelby GT350 Cobra Mustang 289 HiPo Custom Galaxie XL Marauder 427 | eBay

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• This NOS B6A 12029 A ignition coil received no bids by April 17, 2023 and therefore did NOT sell.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This NOS B6A 12029 A ignition coil is back on Ebay again with a Buy-It-Now of $695.00 or make offer:

NOS Ford Coil Mustang Shelby GT350 AC Cobra 289 HiPo Custom Galaxie Marauder 427 | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This listing was ended by the seller June 29, 2023 with the following explanation"

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This NOS B6A 12029 A ignition coil which was "no longer available" is back on Ebay again with a new slightly lower Buy-It-Now of $675.00 or make offer:

NOS Ignition Coil AC Cobra Roadster Comet Cyclone Ford Mustang Galaxie Shelby GT | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

Here is an Ebay auction for an NOS B6A 12029 A ignition coil by Ebay member "lunch_pail_parts" with a Buy-It-Now of $695.00:

Details like this separate the BEST from the Rest !

NOS Ford Ignition Coil

Another rare, obsolete part from the ol' Lunch Pail !

Original equipment for any 1967 Mustang, Cougar or Shelby G.T. model, as well as for most other Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles.

In fact, this is exactly the same coil stocked, sold and installed under warranty by Ford & Mercury dealers, when your car was new.

It's a leftover sample from Ford's GPD Testing Lab. Condition is excellent, with a few tiny flaws...good enough for even the finest show car.

In other words, you're looking at the real deal! Why fool around with a 'repro' when you can have Genuine Ford quality & reliability?

Is your car's restoration for personal pride or a hunt for show-points? Either way, you can't go wrong by choosing NOS parts. Don't miss out !

NOS Ford Coil Capri Comet Cyclone Fairlane 427 Shelby Cobra GT Falcon XR XT 289 | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• FRED.

im not buying what he is selling...

lets start with a fomoco oval script stamp on a 1967 date code. mmmm

then the lack of the evidence of the moulded letter and number combo in between the terminals on the yellow top also has my concerned on its correctness.

yet it does has the locating id bump on the backside that was seen on early examples.

you have any opinions ..... we both now the seller

regards

PHILL BERESFORD

MELBOURNE.

AUSTRALIA.

• I am not Fred but consider from my perspective:

1) I would not believe a coil sent to a test lab was boxed in a retail sale package. Said another way, does the box shown really belong with that part? (I worked in a Fortune 500 company manufacturing 37 years and electrical parts we sent to HQ for testing were not packed for retail sale for the trip. In fact, none of our parts from an assembly plant were in retail sale packages. None of the leftover 1960s Ford assembly line parts I have ever seen or purchased were in a retail sale pack.)

2) If the mold used to make a preproduction sample was not approved for production (engineers and lawyers agreed) I could imagine the mold cavities were not fully detailed yet. In the industry I worked in details like mold numbers, cavity numbers, and or engineering numbers were not added to molds until the parts they made were approved for release to production. It takes labor time to put numbers in molds and if there are multiple cavities more time. In our business there was no one wanting to pay for the text details until the function of the part was approved. I do not know what Ford's supply train did, but the practice in industry of late identification was widespread at least until 2014 when I retired.

3) “7” as a model year along with an oval FoMoCo® logo. All kinds of situations come to mind:

- Maybe a 1957 prototype or preproduction sample from new tooling, plant, and or supplier. “7” does not have to mean 1967. The design came out for the 1956 model year I believe.

- Service part markings were not always exactly like parts made to produce new cars.

- Sample parts made for evaluation were not always marked just like new car parts.

- Or ? We could speculate on many possibilities for a "test" part.

Dan

• Official Post

Phill and Dan,

I did not take the time to really read the sellers story as I am really busy with restoring fuel pumps right now. I am just doing my best tto keep up with the few things that I can keep track of for these forum postings. The fact that people are reading these posts and making good observations is what makes all of my efforts on here worthwhile. Thank you both for your input.

Both of you have valid points on these coils. Phills observation about the missing numeral and letter between the posts seems to fit what Dan is saying about the probable 1957 date code rather than the 1967 that apperas to be represented here. Phill is right on the money with this. Being as I had not really read the auction description, I was unaware of these being advertised as "test" pieces. Of course, "test" pieces would not have retail packaging..

I have an NOS 6 volt coil in my stock and I will look at it when I get back home to see if it has anything molded between the posts. Depending on the date code, it may or may not help on this.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• DAN and FRED

i appreciate the replies and thoughts on this and is exactly why i participate in a couple forums, for me its a big red flag on this particular item to be correct for any 64 1/2 - 66 mustang. i cant comment of 67+ cars as i have absolutely no interest in them.

strangely enough earlier today someone else advertised another NOS B6A-12029-B yellow top coil on ebay

Autolite FAC-12029-A 12V Coil Pre-owned | eBay

this one offers up a 3J date code, again with no letter and number moulds between the posts. is it 63 or 73 date code??? for me its 63 as a 73 date would more than likely be a motorcraft ink stamping not a oval FOMOCO example. this one also does not have the locating ID mark on the backside as per other example. even with this newly listed one i would still not purchase it or consider to be correct for any 64 1/2 - 66 mustang.

ive collected several NOS B6A yellow top coils for my cars over the journey and removed many originals from cars over the years all to me seem to be very similar to each other with letter/number combo moulds between the posts some very early 64 and 65 dated examples with the locating button on the back side. 66 dated ones do not have the locating button and the only other variation ive viewed is the oval fomoco stamp which then changed to a BLOCK style Autolite stamp.

sometimes it the smallest of details on certain parts that get the better of me and i cant move past, then there is some sellers who like to bend the rules/stories to suit a sale.

DAN/FRED when did the 6 volt example begin and end in production line cars i always thought the 6V yellow top examples where a little shorter in length compared to a 12V one. all things for thought and discussion.

best regards

PHILL BERESFORD

MELBOURNE.

AUSTRALIA.

• Official Post

Phill, The last 6 volt Ford vehicle was the 1955 model year. You probably are correct about the length but I will know more when I return home.

The coil on Ebay that you are referencing is listed as pre-owned and not NOS. It just has the correct box. As far as being of 1963 vintage, that is correct as 73 would definitely be Motorcraft. Ford also physically changed the coil to a black top on replacements some time in the 70's but used the same B6A part number for a while. As far as the numbers and letters between the posts molded into the top, maybe that changed some time in 1963, but I will need to check further on that.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This listing was ended by the seller July 27, 2023 with the following explanation"

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This listing was ended by the seller July 28, 2023 with the following explanation"

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This NOS B6A 12029 A ignition coil which was "no longer available" is back on Ebay again with a new much lower Buy-It-Now of $500.00 or make offer:

NOS Ford Coil Mustang Galaxie Shelby GT AC Cobra Roadster Comet Cyclone FoMoCo | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This NOS B6A 12029 A ignition coil which was "no longer available" is back on Ebay again with a new much lower Buy-It-Now of $550.00 or make offer:

67 Autolite Coil Mustang Falcon XR XT Capri Comet Cyclone Fairlane Shelby Cobra | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This listing was ended by the seller July 30, 2023 with the following explanation"

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This NOS B6A 12029 A ignition coil sold August 28, 2023 on Ebay for $550.00.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This listing was ended by the seller September 27, 2023 with the following explanation"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for an NOS B6A 12029 A ignition coil by Ebay member "LunchPailParts Classic Car Stuff" with a Buy-It-Now of $550.00 or make offer:

Another rare, obsolete part from the ol' Lunch Pail ...original equipment for the vast majority of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles from 1957 through 1973.

It's exactly the same coil factory installed on new 1960 - 1961 models. It was also installed under warranty by Ford dealers, throughout the 1960s.

This example is a leftover sample from Ford's GPD Testing Lab. Condition is excellent, with just tiny flaws — good enough for even the finest show car.

Remember, you're looking at the real deal. Why fool around with an untested 'repro' when you can have Genuine Ford quality & reliability?

NOS Ford Coil Custom Fairlane Galaxie Commuter Monterey Country Squire TBird 390 | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This listing was ended by the seller February 15, 2024 with the following explanation"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!