Hi, New member with a few questions

• Hi everyone

After setting in garages for 42 years I decided to restore my K car, 63A A 26 26Q 71 5 5, 5R09K warranty plate. The shop doing the restoration has the car disassembled and the body stop is at the body shop. Next the engine is going to the engine builder. When I bought the car, it had an aftermarket intake manifold and carburetor. I am wondering what would be the appropriate carb C50F-J or -L or what? What about the manifold C5OE-9425-A or -C? I did get The 289 HP Mustang 4th Ed after reading about it on the forum. I am getting the impression that the dates when new parts revisions happened are a little fuzzy. The book says my transmission is used on 6 bolt blocks. Guess what, my engine is a 5 bolt block. One more question. Is the 26 in 26Q the 26th of March?

• Official Post

Hi everyone

After setting in garages for 42 years I decided to restore my K car, 63A A 26 26Q 71 5 5, 5R09K warranty plate. The shop doing the restoration has the car disassembled and the body stop is at the body shop. Next the engine is going to the engine builder. When I bought the car, it had an aftermarket intake manifold and carburetor. I am wondering what would be the appropriate carb C50F-J or -L or what? What about the manifold C5OE-9425-A or -C? I did get The 289 HP Mustang 4th Ed after reading about it on the forum. I am getting the impression that the dates when new parts revisions happened are a little fuzzy. The book says my transmission is used on 6 bolt blocks. Guess what, my engine is a 5 bolt block. One more question. Is the 26 in 26Q the 26th of March?

There are a number of questions here. Bob Mannels book on the small block Ford is a great reference as he spent 17 years putting it together. I am at my wifes house today so I do not have the book in my hands and can only go from memory. If you want a book, I can give you his phone number when I return home. His book is the size of a city phone book, if you know what that was. It is very reasonably priced and now comes with a digital edition available. Everybody who owns one of these Kars needs this book for reference. No matter how much you may know about small block Ford engines, you will still learn a lot more from this book.

Yes, the 26 in the production date is the day of the month. In regards to the carburetor, it should be a C5OF-J based on your production date. The C5OF-L is a tag change on a C4OF-AL when the Kars began having closed emission systems. I do have a C5OF-J carburetor if you need one.

The intake manifold is more important for date than the A or C suffix as the suffix goes with the date.

The biggest issue facing you is the "5 bolt" block. The 5 bolt block was replaced with the 6 bolt block approximately when the 65 model year began which for San Jose Kars is August 1964. There is zero chance that a March 1965 Kar will have a 5 bolt block originally. It is certainly possible that you actually have a 6 bolt block and do not realize it. The casting number on a 6 bolt block is a C5AE where the 5 bolt is a C4OE. The bellhousing on the 6 bolt block is a C5DA and is retained by 7/16" bolts to the block. The transmission would bolt to the bellhousing with the outboard pattern. The 5 bolt block uses a C3AA bellhousing and bolts to the block with 3/8" bolts. The transmission would bolt to the bellhousing with the inboard bolt pattern. Being as the proper transmission for your Kar is an HEH-T, it has both bolt patterns and will work with either one. If your engine is truly a 5 bolt and does not have a stamped VIN, you really need a 6 bolt block, which I may also have. I would not send the engine to the builder until this is resolved.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Official Post

By the way, welcome aboard the forum!! I forgot to do that yesterday as I was so intent on my response to you.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Fred

Yes, I am extremely interested in your carburetor. Information for Bob Mannels’ book would be appreciated. I am trying to understand K cars so I can make informed decisions on the restoration. Fairly sure the block is a C4OE casting. I will stop by the shop tomorrow after work and see if we can figure it out.

• Official Post

Fred

Yes, I am extremely interested in your carburetor. Information for Bob Mannels’ book would be appreciated. I am trying to understand K cars so I can make informed decisions on the restoration. Fairly sure the block is a C4OE casting. I will stop by the shop tomorrow after work and see if we can figure it out.

Bob Mannels phone number for his book is 423-245-6678. Please confirm as to whether this number still works for this and is still the preferred method to reach him. He is in Tennessee.

My number on the carburetor is 661-251-2362. I am in southern California.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!