• Official Post

Here is an Ebay auction for an old Hipo 64 Mercury Cyclone title and fender apron by Ebay member "theglenoutlet" with a Buy-It-Now of $1,000.00 or make offer:

1964 Mercury Comet Cyclone K code 289 hipo door tag paper work fender apron

Being sold for Historical value only.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Mercu…ity!91387!US!-1

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Official Post

The best part about this to me is his description is actually totally wrong. For those that are not aware of the "K" code 64 Comet Cyclone, here is what they really are and the information that I sent to the seller.

I am just trying to help you out here. This paperwork and tag is NOT what you think it is. I was a parts manager for Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealers for 20 years and even I was fooled by the 64 Comet K code many years ago, The issue is that Mercury does NOT always use the same engine codes as Ford. Now for the reality check. A "K" code 64 Comet is only available in a Cyclone which the VIN indicates so that is correct. The problem is that the "K" code Comet engine is the same 225 horsepower engine for a Ford with an "A" code which is NOT a Hipo 289. The Hipo 289 Comet is actually a "D" code in 1964. Also the 64 Hipo 289 Comet was only available with a 4 speed and your tag indicates a 3 speed with a 3.25 rear end of which neither were available in the Hipo version. If you do not have a 64 Mercury parts book with this information, I can take pictures of my book for you but I would need your email to send it. As far as I know, all 64 Cyclones used the 225 horse engine except for the Hipo "D: code ones.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!