Power Steering Trouble

• A friend of mine has a 67 289 coupe and it is losing power steering fluid. When you turn the wheels one direction, they work fine, but when you turn it the other direction, power steering fluid shoots out the top of the dipstick tube. Some local mechanics thought it was just air in the system, so we tried everything suggested to get the air out and it still does it. Could it be the control valve? I was guessing the valve was stuck and therefor not operating correctly. Any information or troubleshooting help with this would be great.

• I have a '66 with PS. Never had this issue, but it sounds like a control valve or blockage issue.

The system is a push/pull assist type and it sounds like something is wrong in the control valve or maybe even one of the hoses is hooked up wrong.

Somehow you are getting fluid pressure back up into the pump area. The control valve regulates the flow of the high pressure fluid - if the piston is stuck inside it could cause this. If there is a blockage on the pressure side or a hose is connected wrong the pump could be backing up into the tank.

I hope this helps.

• That was the direction I was thinking also. Not a lot of people seem to understand the system well enough to give me an answer othr than the air issue. Thanks again.

• Check your hoses. Sometimes they look fine on the outside, but have corroded on the inside. If they are corroded (like an artery) on the inside, it will cause havoc with your system pressure.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!