Manual Transmission Down Shifting Issue

• Hi all.

I'm having troubles down shifting from third to second, so I assume my synchros are worn.

Being a non-gearhead in this respect, would someone please explain if I should do a rebuild of the entire transmission or if I can just replace the syncro for this gear alone?

Also a list of parts and where to get them would be fantastic. Obviously I want quality components not some pricey low quality parts.

Thank you or any input.

Kind regards,

René

• Rene, Am I incorrect that you are located in Australia? This can make a difference in acquiring parts. I can give you a more intelligent response when you let me know where you are located.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Your problem is, most likely, a blocker ring that no longer has the sharp edges where the synchro sleeve engages the synchro teeth on the second gear. This can get damaged by upshifting and not making a clean shift. This is a fairly common issue. Generally the engagement teeth on the gear in a Ford toploader hold up fairly well to abuse and if the transmission does not pop out of gear on deacceleration, you should be good with just the brass blocker ring. This does not involve an entire synchronizer assembly replacement. When I first began rebuilding 4 speed transmissions 58 years ago, blocker rings were the most replaced items that I had to do. I have the genuine Ford blocker rings in stock. Aftermarket ones can be a problem. Even good used ones are better than some of the aftermarket pieces.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• The car doesn't pop out of gear at any stage. Sometimes I can get it in from third to second, but most times it's a battle. Have you got a photo of the blocker ring?
    If the transmission gets opened to replace the blocker ring, do I need any other components such as gasket kits or anything?

Regards,

René

Edited once, last by pony65k (February 8, 2021 at 3:00 AM).

• Rene, At this point, please send me an email and I will try to respond with a picture tomorrow. We are currently watching the Super Bowl, which is a huge deal in the U.S.

fredsclassics@hotmail.com

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Hi all.

An update on this issue. After nearly two years I finally got the car in to the transmission guy here to have an evaluation as I couldn't deal with it any longer. He gave it a drive and really struggled and wondered how I could even drive the kar. We got it back to his shed and he sprayed WD40 into the gear selector area and kept changing gears, more spray and more gear changing. Now it's like butter, easy to change and hit every gear both up and down, better than it ever was since I've had the kar. So now it's booked in to find out what the issue is. So at least we're moving forward.

• Hey Zed.

Thanks for that. Yes I'm still in the Magill area. There's a guy in Glynde called Transteer that I went to. He had some wild cars in the, of particular notice a 67 GT500 Eleanor.

Hope you don't mind if I send you a PM just to ask a couple of questions.

Thanks for reaching out.

• No worries, I live near the Paradise interchange.

Eddie

Sorry mate, but I will get in touch with you....

So turns out it was just a simple lube job required. $100 later and all going nicely, it's like a new gearbox!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!