Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine ModifiKation
Dan, from my observation, it looks like risking the destruction of valuable parts might mean we may never see or hear a proper GT40 perform in earnest again? Or are you thinking that those cars will have a suitable copy of a GT40 head from an aftermarket or even Ford's copy mounted in order to display the performance we so love to witness? My C6FE heads should be reserved for a real GT40 or Comp car, the likes of which I am likely never to never own. where should they reside? on a shelf or on an original engine that sits on display and never runs again? Now what do I do with them? anybody?
HipoDunc Wrote:Dan, from my observation, it looks like risking the destruction of valuable parts might mean we may never see or hear a proper GT40 perform in earnest again? Or are you thinking that those cars will have a suitable copy of a GT40 head from an aftermarket or even Ford's copy mounted in order to display the performance we so love to witness? My C6FE heads should be reserved for a real GT40 or Comp car, the likes of which I am likely never to never own. where should they reside? on a shelf or on an original engine that sits on display and never runs again? Now what do I do with them? anybody?

Excellent thoughts on your part, Duncan. Personally I am wondering how many owners of original GT40 cars are willing to actually race them in vintage races with original engines?

-Fred-
65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
66 GT Koupe  Dearborn Blue 4 speed
66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost  4 speed
64 Falcon sedan delivery  289 4 speed
65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed
Regarding C6FE cylinder head castings, in no particular order.

Original 1960s castings are not as rare as you might think as Ford made many of them in at least two different versions of casting patterns. Assemblies wise out of the box from Ford and as contractors prepared them for Shelby American they were quite different. The other original race parts for either Group II sedans or GT40s engines are extremely rare in excellent condition.

Cylinder head matched assemblies prepared by Mondello, Valley, and maybe Rogers for Shelby American in serial numbered matched sets that are still in very good to excellent condition are pretty rare.

When vintage racing went from a few owners riding around on a pretty day to people running like a national championship was at stake in the late 1970s early 1980s lots of reproduction castings were made for the vintage racers. I talked to a man that advertised them in Hemmings Motor News® back then and he said he had PALLET LOADS of raw castings ready to machined and finished any way buyers wanted. Since then I believe somebody else has made reproductions. (That set of situations made me lose interest in any not traceable back to Ford or Shelby American.) In the early 1980s parts dealers wanted between $3,500 and $6,500 for a pair of new old stock assemblies as Ford sold them. If you wanted to get them fully race prepared you had to do so on your own. When the vintage race replicas hit the market new old stock pair 'value' dropped to not much more than a pair of new old stock HP289 heads. Good used pairs of C6FE head might have been found for less that $800.

I cannot speak about all 1967 Group II Mustang or Cougars or later GT40 MKIs but at least some don’t want 1960s cylinder heads.

One of the three Shelby numbered pairs I have purchased or traded for were from a GT40 race coupe owner that wanted a certain pair of modern aftermarket aluminum heads and $600 in trade. That was for Shelby set serial number 5.  Joe Mondello’s shop prepared them for Shelby American new and Joe refreshed them for me in 2002. In our hour plus long discussion about my plans for them and how they were to be refreshed Mr. Mondello agreed that hardened exhaust seat inserts should be installed so he did so. We are using them in our red car.

The typical want advertisements I see posted have been from people racing something in the UK or Europe. 

Us, Dan and Martha, we are using set serial 5 ex-GT40 in our red car. I have not damaged a 289 cylinder head ever even playing at 8,500 rpm in SFM5S142 so I am not concerned.

PS To get the benefit of full race C6FE heads induction and exhaust systems are required to suit.  Some of the Shelby Team heads have seriously enlarged exhaust ports that just any header won't match up to them.
Dan
Dan Case Wrote:Regarding C6FE cylinder head castings, in no particular order.

Original 1960s castings are not as rare as you might think as Ford made many of them in at least two different versions of casting patterns. Assemblies wise out of the box from Ford and as contractors prepared them for Shelby American they were quite different. The other original race parts for either Group II sedans or GT40s engines are extremely rare in excellent condition.

Cylinder head matched assemblies prepared by Mondello, Valley, and maybe Rogers for Shelby American in serial numbered matched sets that are still in very good to excellent condition are pretty rare.

When vintage racing went from a few owners riding around on a pretty day to people running like a national championship was at stake in the late 1970s early 1980s lots of reproduction castings were made for the vintage racers. I talked to a man that advertised them in Hemmings Motor News® back then and he said he had PALLET LOADS of raw castings ready to machined and finished any way buyers wanted. Since then I believe somebody else has made reproductions. (That set of situations made me lose interest in any not traceable back to Ford or Shelby American.) In the early 1980s parts dealers wanted between $3,500 and $6,500 for a pair of new old stock assemblies as Ford sold them. If you wanted to get them fully race prepared you had to do so on your own. When the vintage race replicas hit the market new old stock pair 'value' dropped to not much more than a pair of new old stock HP289 heads. Good used pairs of C6FE head might have been found for less that $800.

I cannot speak about all 1967 Group II Mustang or Cougars or later GT40 MKIs but at least some don’t want 1960s cylinder heads.

One of the three Shelby numbered pairs I have purchased or traded for were from a GT40 race coupe owner that wanted a certain pair of modern aftermarket aluminum heads and $600 in trade. That was for Shelby set serial number 5.  Joe Mondello’s shop prepared them for Shelby American new and Joe refreshed them for me in 2002. In our hour plus long discussion about my plans for them and how they were to be refreshed Mr. Mondello agreed that hardened exhaust seat inserts should be installed so he did so. We are using them in our red car.

The typical want advertisements I see posted have been from people racing something in the UK or Europe. 

Us, Dan and Martha, we are using set serial 5 ex-GT40 in our red car. I have not damaged a 289 cylinder head ever even playing at 8,500 rpm in SFM5S142 so I am not concerned.

PS To get the benefit of full race C6FE heads induction and exhaust systems are required to suit.  Some of the Shelby Team heads have seriously enlarged exhaust ports that just any header won't match up to them.

Thanks for the insight, Dan.

-Fred-
65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
66 GT Koupe  Dearborn Blue 4 speed
66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost  4 speed
64 Falcon sedan delivery  289 4 speed
65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed
(08-07-2019, 02:37 AM)C6ZZKGT Wrote: Thanks for the insight, Dan.

-Fred-

You are welcome.

Modern times and old engines together are challenging.
Dan